Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Don't It Just Make You Laugh?

Well so here it is, I was going on a writing site today just cause I wanted to see the general skill level on there (kind of a semi-hobby of mine when I'm bored) and sometimes you get a good laugh out of some of the opinions on writing there too. Oh but this one I was surfing today, it just takes the cake. They had this thread on "Tips and Advice" where seasoned writers of the site help newbies out and... well... just look at some of the statements from the "seasoned ones" for yourself.

"Reading, in my opinion, not only has little to do with writing but is detrimental to a writers' creativity."

"...the plot is the crutch of the weak writer."

"I don't see a problem in switching the narrators viewpoint..."

"Don't buy any books...Employ your imagination."

(On the subject of reading your own stories) "I get sick when my story sucks. But I simply know it doesn't suck."

"What's plot device?"

"There is nothing wrong with switching protagonists midway in your book..."

"There's nothing to be gained from reading Maupassant..."

"Sometimes description is bad. The reader needs to let his/her imagination roam."

Funny isn't it? Well yes, now children, this is the type of advice you should NOT follow if you want to be a decent writer.

1 Comments:

At 3:55 AM , Blogger Taidgh Lynch said...

Yes and that is a shame. There's a lot of writing sites out there that give terrible advice. A writer who knows what he is talking about and gives good helpful advice doesn't last long on sites like those becos it just isn't wanted. A lot of 'writers' who cannot even be called writers just want to hear what they want to hear.

So stuff the lot of them I say, let them live in a bubble, let them develop into terrible writers if they don't want to hear proper advice and not crap like, "Don't read and don't develop plot." I suggest that they don't write.

My advice is stay away from those sites, really head wreaking and give little or nothing to a writer who really wants to write.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home