Saturday, July 12, 2008

Feminine or Masculine?

To be honest, I've always preferred feminine rhymes over masculine. Their so much more delightful to chew on, and plus I've always liked to use them as a good pivot for turn-of-phrase. They do take some time to get the hang of though... whats miserable if you have quatrain after quatrain of them with no end in sight. It might be good if your doing heavy-handed metaphysical conceits. But otherwise I think they should be used very sparingly. Like salt in cooking... less is more for most dishes if used properly.

Something I do like doing though is making a two-syllable feminine on the first or third line and making the following rhyme in the sequence a two-word, monosyllable, masculine. (Provided its ABAB our following.)

Just a rough example, but something like this:

Jesus, (first or second line)
Please us. (third or fourth line)

Granted, I would never use those in an actual verse, but you get what I'm saying, no? Also, something thats fun is using the above example as an internal rhyme. But that only works if you use one or two monosyllables directly between the first and second rhyme in sequence. I.E: Jesus, you please us. If not you only have the rhyme strung too close on itself and its more of a liability to the overall quality of the sound than anything. The same goes for alliteration... but that could be a whole 'nother post in itself.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on it?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 8:46 AM , Blogger Elisa de la Torre said...

iiiiiii... completely agree cause i didnt get anything. :D
love ya!

 
At 10:26 PM , Blogger Queen Killjoy said...

my thoughts are that you think it through waaaay too much.

 
At 2:12 PM , Blogger thisisme said...

Angie, I beg to differ. In my opinion serious thought must be given to the rhythm of the poem if one is to glean any sense of sound from the said properties.

What is rhythm, if not rhyme and feet?

 
At 1:50 AM , Blogger Boo ya said...

my thoughts are that your thoughts are so much more smarter than mine i'll just be quiet and say i love you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home