Sunday, May 11, 2008

About Verse

I've begun writing poetry again, though in small batches, not at all what I was used to doing around this time last year. By that time I had just put the last touches on my first surrealist piece, and had taken up a fascination for writing about the sea. Mainly due to reading Moby Dick... but it could have been that I missed the North Atlantic, the chilly spray that stings ones lungs whenever they breathe it in. That managed to eek out a few good pieces and a handful of half-finished ones that I intend to go back and finish someday, perhaps even make into a series.

Since the beginning of the year though I've begun a new set: poem on writers and writing--something which I'm quite pleased with and that I see good potential for. I have the first...uhh... 4 or so completed so far, (one Verse Libre, the others my darling quatrains) and two or three still fermenting in my notebook while I stumble through my novelette. I've always talked alot about creative writing, always had a passion for the subject, and writing about things that only writers feel, only writers sense, is...well... thrilling. I don't know how many I'll be able to come up with on the subject, but I've got a decent amount already and still feel that I could do a few more, so I'll post up one and show the others when I've exhausted my resources sufficiently, yes?

The Writers Assessment

At night I’ve measured syllables
So I could fall asleep,
I noticed they were doable
And counted all my feet.

I’ve searched out sights within my head
And strained them on a sieve,
So when my rhyme is long and dead
My imagery reprieve.

I’ve swam with ink, I’ve lain out chalk
Around my blackened bones;
I’ve metered out my every walk
With smack of bitter scones.

My pen's been quelled, my brain's been shot,
My verse been worse than trite,
And Hades’ been quite through a lot
To read what I could write.

I’ve stammered in my mark and theme,
But solid's been my beat;
A decent work found once a ream
So erroneously sweet.

I’ve writ of virtue, beauty too
Has always been my muse;
But long since past has dawn anew
Been broken where I choose.

Yet still, in this could beauty be?
Of course!—for it was penned by me.


Oh, and P.S: Happy Mothers Day!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:53 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

"My verse been worse then trite,"
THAN, Dre, THAN.... please!!! It shows a comparison, so it's than!
Also, it's pen's, brain's, and solid's (they're contractions).
Great poem, other THAN that... heh heh... I especially love the ending couplet. All the best with your writing project!

 
At 12:15 PM , Blogger thisisme said...

Heh... my grammar has never been the best. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

Gosh, now I feel all embarassified:P

P.S (Don't overuse the exclamation mark... eh Sharon?)

 
At 6:43 PM , Blogger Queen Killjoy said...

For that matter, let's also not overuse the period points or use the "smiley" symbols. Hahahaha...:) Oops...

 
At 10:15 AM , Blogger thisisme said...

I beg to differ, the use of three periods all in a row shows a pause in thought. A wonderful device in diction, if you ask me.

However, this is all off the point, thanks for pointing those things out Sharon...where would my grammatical faculties be without you?

Lets not answer that, shall we? Hehehe...

 
At 6:39 AM , Blogger Taidgh Lynch said...

How are things Dr. Dre? I could have told you that about the grammar! I do think it is lacking though, especially the last stanza. What is it with having mother's day in May?! We already had ours in March. Let's have two valentines! Not!

 
At 5:53 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

"thanks for pointing those things out Sharon...where would my grammatical faculties be without you?

Lets not answer that, shall we? Hehehe..."

Snigger. No problem. :P

(Notice: No exclamation marks. hehehe.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home