Saturday, March 14, 2009

It seems like I'm back

And I certainly do hope so.... But, I'm not sure, you decide.

Self Deceit

I’ve often sought to fool myself
And so, I donned a mask
Off from its dusty, little shelf
And set it to its task.

But, by itself, it could not spring
A well-sufficient lie;
So colored piece-nez did I bring
To wear them on the sly.

But both of these were scant enough
To trick all those around;
I left my garb for duller stuff
Discarded on the ground

And, speaking with a newer voice,
I taught myself to say
So many things against my choice,
And social-conscience sway.

And then, to make all these complete,
A monarchs crown I wore;
And quite astounded at this feat
I glanced at, “me before”

And envied almost instantly;
Because my clumsy crown
Did fit the role so suitably
Of self turned upside-down.

And now what made me laugh, before
Would only make me frown.

3 Comments:

At 8:29 PM , Blogger Boo ya said...

like it alot.

 
At 11:15 PM , Anonymous Cecilia said...

Are you saying I'm not FUNNY anymore?

Hey, I fancy this. Tho I'm sure it's "pince-nez" if you mean those kind of glasses, and there is questionable punctuation scattered here and there.

And the third verse confuses me:

"But both of these were scant enough
To trick all those around;"

Sounds like the more scant they are, the more convincing they are, but that doesn't add up. If they were just scant enough "To trick those all around" then why did you leave them on the ground? Or did you leave your garb "discarded on the ground" or did you leave it for something dull that had been discarded on the ground?

Maybe it's very clear to others and my poetry-reading glasses are bleary from little use. I like this poem very much, I just stumbled on that one verse. Thank you for hearing me out. Have a fabulous week, Chum!

 
At 3:50 PM , Anonymous Toxi said...

HAHAHAHA!!! as bad as this poetry is, your comments Cecilia make it all the more distasteful. Are you also a mental handicap, becuase im becoming more and more convicned that this dre fellow is! Though I am sure all you faithful friends will rush to his defense, hey... at least I'm not singing vain flatteries to his horidly pathetic writings. You would all do better if you were to be honest with him and show him his faults, namely his attempt at writing and the gross failure that it is. Go find yourself another hobby, this one is quite painful for anyone to endure!I'll be praying that you never decide to publish.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home