Thursday, February 28, 2008

What Life Has Taught Me

About the elusive subject of happiness, at least...

-------------------------------


From my youth I learned enthusiasm, and that there is never a wrong time to enjoy what was around me.
From enthusiasm, I learned inspiration, and that just because you have it doesn’t always mean you’ll succeed.
From inspiration, I learned diligence, which kept me faithful when inspiration left me.
From diligence, I learned discipline, and that just because you “can” doesn’t mean you “should.”
From discipline, I learned self-control, which taught me to use what I knew over what I felt.
From self-control, I learned knowledge, and that if you know something on the subject you should say it.
From knowledge, I learned wisdom, and that sometimes it’s better if you don’t.
From wisdom, I learned judgment, and that no one was “better” then me.
From judgment, I learned grace, and that I was just as “bad” as they.
From grace, I learned understanding, so that I could know what others were going through.
From understanding, I learned thankfulness—that I wasn’t too badly off.
From thankfulness, I learned praise, and that it’s better to give it to others then to yourself.
From praise I learned honesty, which enabled me to accept praise from others.
From honesty I learned modesty, so I could tell others if they were praising me when credit was not due.
From modesty I learned humility, so that I could uplift others rather then myself.
From humility I learned patience and that the best things come to those who truly do wait.
From patience I learned to take time, and that both food and kissing are best done slowly.
From learning to take time I became calm, and realized that stress does not help anything.
From being calm I learned trust, and that it never can hurt too much.
From trust I learned friendship, and that life is only worth living when lived with others.
From friendship I learned forgiveness, and that being angry only hurts you in the end.
From forgiveness I learned gratitude, and became thankful when others forgave me.
From gratitude I learned compassion, and wished for others to know I cared for them.
From compassion I learned love for another, and not just for them but for mankind.

And it was then that I learned that I already knew what it meant to be happy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home